Your lawn is a crucial part to your home’s landscape. Beautiful ornamentals, trees and flowers can be ruined if your grass is in poor condition. A lawn with lush, green St. Augustine grass will enhance any landscape, improve curb appeal and ultimately increase your property value in Palm Beach County.
How Do You Choose the Right Grass?
In Palm Beach County, there are multiple grass options to choose from that thrive in South Florida conditions. Whether it’s St. Augustine grass or not, there are a number of things to take into consideration when making your grass decision:
- Maintenance – Do you want a lawn that is meticulously manicured but requires a high level of lawn fertilization and care or are you looking for a low maintenance option that only need to be watered three times per week and mowed once a week? Your preference of maintenance level should be a huge contributing factor to your decision.
- Environmental Factors– You need to consider how the environment comes into play when it comes to your grass. How much sun does your yard receive? What is your level of foot traffic on the lawn? Different types of grass have different limitations.
- Budget – The price of the grass itself varies across the different types, costing on average anywhere from $3000-$8000 for a ¼ acre. Not only are the higher maintenance turfs more expensive to install, they are also more expensive to maintain and should be a consideration when you are selecting the right grass for your yard.
Pros and Cons of St. Augustine Grass
St. Augustine Grass is one of the most commonly used grasses in Palm Beach County. It thrives best in fertile, well drained soils but can also perform well in a multitude to soil profiles. Proper irrigation, insect control and lawn fertilization are imperative to St. Augustine Grass growth.
- Well adapted to most soil profiles
- Dark green/blue color when properly watered and fertilized
- Establishes quickly
- Moderately salt tolerant
- Moderate maintenance
- Shade tolerant (some species)
- Low drought tolerance
- Susceptive to insects and fungus
- Poor traffic tolerance
- Coarse leaf structure (can be painful to walk on barefoot)
St. Augustine Grass Maintenance
All grass requires care; insect control, fertilization, weed control, and seasonal requirements can all be managed easily and affordably by a professional. East Coast Sprayers can help to maintain your St. Augustine grass with lawn fertilization and pest control services in the Palm Beach County area. Contact us today to receive your free quote!